BLOG POST 8: SKY PHENOMENA ARTIST REFERENCES + WORK

zoom notes from tutorial about sky phenomena brief





The Sky Phenomena brief proved to be an unexpected yet welcome turn of events for this authorship Unit. I relished this opportunity to research historic sky events and engaged in a new avenue of image generation.




KRAKATOA ERUPTION 
WILLIAM ASHCROFT(below right)
OWN WORK inspired by right (below left)





OWN WORK  (below left) inspired by work on right
ANCIENT/MEDIEVAL DEPICTIONS
HALLEY COMET, METEORS 





 This miniature side project lead on nicely from a 1-1 tutor discussion about continuing on from the success of my Close Encounters prints. I was encouraged to create a set of drawings depicting historic sky phenomena events, attempting to capture feats of anti-gravity, spectacular astral events and weather phenomena.

 I created a body of large chalk and ink drawings inspired by Ashcroft’s depictions of Krakatoa’s effect on the sky, and Historic archival depictions of the Charlemagne weather phenomena and depictions of the Halley comet as suggested in my zoom tutorials with Mack.

I then produced a set of faux posters for the Manchester Museum (in place of the collaboration I had originally planned with HOME cinema); advertising a fictitious new exhibition dedicated to sky phenomena events and Meteor/comet sightings. This elevated my work from a strictly personal environment into a more commercial landscape, exploring the possibilities and avenues my practice has the potential to form in my career. This was incredibly fun and I really enjoyed the process. I honestly believe these posters would not look out of place at the Manchester Museum. 















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BLOG POST 4: ALIEN

BLOG POST 2: BRIEF PLANS/PROPOSALS