BLOG POST 3: Recent work that I wish to pursue

 Here is a compilation of recent work that I found success in. I enjoyed the process of lino printing- planning the design rigorously then transferring by hand onto the block and cutting away the design. I took great care in emphasising direction of light and gave a lot of time and thought to representing the cast shadows and giving the figures grounding. The 'Combat' print is the first lino print I have done since year 8. I can really see the potential of this process and incorporating it into my poster designs like that of Klimowski and Ziegler. I took inspiration from Klimowski's 'Nocturnes' series for my 20:20 print submission (https://www.klimowski.com/collections/new-nocturnes-series/nocturnes). 

I also relished the detail of the figures and the expressive, dynamic mark making I was able to create with the lino block on both the 20:20 print and the 'Samurai x Serpents' print. I will continue to explore the possibilities of lino printing for these poster designs.

In addition, I used a novel approach of hand tinting my monoprints for the summer listening project. I am very pleased with the results although I would like to use this authorship to help refine my colour palette and look at the woodcut prints of Munch and Gauguin.

I have also included my Unit X poetry print project outcome. I was at first, reluctant to use digital software to simulate screenprinting - however, this process allowed me to self edit, reflect and really analyse the composition and troubleshoot before taking it to final print. It was a skill that I learnt at the start of lockdown and I will definitely employ this simulation approach for this authorship unit to experiment with colour, composition and scale. I created silk screen layers by celotaping layout paper and tracing paper over my key black layer and using painterly, inky mark making, created my layer. It meant that my colour layers were painterly, erratic and dynamic rather than bold, flat areas of colour- I will be using this technique again for my silkscreen prints for this authorship project. 

20:20 Lino print

20:20 Lino print

Slide 1/11 from Listening project - Monoprint and watercolour 





Combat Lino print




Samurai x Serpent Lino print




Slide 4/11 from Listening project - Monoprint and watercolour




Selection of my favourite prints from the Unit X poetry project in 2nd year





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BLOG POST 4: ALIEN

BLOG POST 2: BRIEF PLANS/PROPOSALS

BLOG POST 5: DRAWING AND PRINTMAKING DEVELOPMENT NOTES FROM TUTOR MACK