BLOG POST 9: WAR OF THE WORLDS

 


This War of the Worlds battle poster acted simply as a release and something that I needed to ‘get out of my system.’ It is not in line with my other work for this unit but I thought the charcoal drawing was strong and made for a suitable poster for the 1950s film (the action packed B-movie style sci poster of martian invades and monster posters form Kaiju films) It was a much needed chance to play around with drawing whilst I conjured up ideas for the next set of drawings for the other films.


(BELOW) The work of Henrique Alvim, he illustrated the french translated copy of H.G Well's novel. His illustrations are magnificent and truly capture the size, scale and domination of the martians. I particularly admire his use of perspective and drop shadows - a true inspiration and I will certainly use his illustrations to help with my drawing for this piece.



(BELOW) A collection of some of my favourite posters for war of the worlds.



(Below) My large A2 Charcoal and ink drawing on newsprint. This original drawing  serves as layer 1 for this screenprint poster design. 

I pieced together two A3 sheets of tracing paper and overlay it over this drawing layer.
With black Chinese drawing ink, I drew the laser beams that emit from the martian war machines and lines of gun fire from the tanks.

Usually I would print these layers onto acetate and get the image onto a silk screen, however given the circumstances, I have digitally simulated this print.








I added the sky phenomena drawings as a brooding back drop for this battle scene.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BLOG POST 4: ALIEN